Making Things Monday #2
This time it's all about the 'behaviour of eating.' In a world increasingly plagued by obesity, ‘clean’ eating and food porn how has our behaviour changed, either by design or deceit. Does design and technology change how and what we eat for the better?
Suggested by #MakingThingsMonday member Polly Thompson who's started tracking and investigating the user experience of labelling for fun! Heres a selection of foodie things to read that hopefully will make you hungry and hangry in equal measure.
- Instagram has changed how we eat, some bemoan dinner will never be the same. Others say it improves the taste (I'll keep it in mind next time I tuck into a rainbow bagel!)
- Professionals bow to the power of 'exposure' or the dream of 'going viral.'
- Why we ❤️food porn enough to even have UK Food Porn Awards. Who knew!
- Mukbang watching people in Korea live binge eat is a 'thing'!
- You are what you eat or maybe what you Google search
- Food suppliements are the future ✊... or maybe a really boring way to get gout?
- If you missed this back in 2016 Ruby Tandoh gives an honest account of 'Clean/wellness' eating. Why shouldn't you diet in 2018.
- Imagining a food future now that looks like science fiction or just copy Marget Attwood in Orex and Crake, an ace book that covers GM and 'grown' meat.
- Apps to track what you eat VS Fitbit to track your body's reaction
- Freakonomics talk about the ‘War on Sugar’? Mexico has some some unexpected results. The UK launches sugar tax, Doctors against sugar industry in Australia, the US changes its labelling, but does the hard line approach to sugar
- Will health labels change behaviour? Different label, different outcome and what about fast food labels?
- Are 'food deserts' are just a mirage? Did banning fast food in LA work?
- Dr Jeni Cross talks about the myths of behaviour change. Brad Stulberg says changing eating behaviour is all about environment.
- How did we 'eat healthy' in the past? From medieval banquets to the invention of noodles humans used to eat some seriously weird stuff!
Feel free to share some of the confusing/helpful labels! We see everyday
Images; Serendigity, Nona εïз, Michael Allen Smith@INeedCoffee